Emergency Management Bay of Plenty
Delivery of Civil Defence Emergency Management
In July 2015 Emergency Management Bay of Plenty was established by six of the seven councils in the Bay of Plenty Region (including Bay of Plenty Regional Council). Rotorua is not a member of Emergency Management Bay of Plenty, but is still a member of the Bay of Plenty Civil Defence Emergency Management Group.
Emergency Management Bay of Plenty has two functions:
- Act as the Group Emergency Management Office for the CDEM Group. This involves supporting the Coordinating Executive Group in coordinating and facilitating the delivery of CDEM across the Group.
- Provide the operational service delivery of CDEM activities for the six member councils. The core functions of Emergency Management Bay of Plenty is the delivery of a holistic, coordinated, and integrated CDEM service focusing on creating resilient communities and providing the systems, people and resources necessary to provide an effective response during an emergency.
Emergency Management Bay of Plenty is delivered through four core teams: Community Resilience, Operational Readiness, Planning and Development, and Recovery. These four teams are responsible for CDEM Functions as follows:
- Resilience Building: Increasing community resilience through building understanding, capacity, increasing connectedness, increasing participation and fostering cooperation.
- Operational Excellence: Building operational capability and capacity to provide an effective response during an emergency.
- Organisational Excellence: Developing systems, policy and procedures which establish the organisational foundation for Emergency Management Bay of Plenty
- Recovery: Developing processes that seek to minimise the consequences of an emergency, restore essential community services and functions, reduce further exposure to hazards and their risks, and regenerate and enhance community well-being.
Rotorua Lakes Council are a member of the Bay of Plenty CDEM Group but retained the operational service delivery within the council.